Friday 20 April 2018

Jet-setting to Super W in Sydney




As I write this blog, I’m at the airport heading back to Brisbane from Sydney. (Yes, the Reds are playing the Chiefs tonight (the work of a rugby blogger never ends) but the big event we’ve just witnessed in Sydney was of course…. the first ever Super W Final - between none other than Queensland and New South Wales.

What a game it was. So close. So exciting. New South came away with the win in the end… in overtime. I am extremely proud of our Queensland girls. They left everything on the field… and I mean everything.
I’m also have to give an extra special mention to my cousin Grace. In case you didn’t know, I have a family member who plays for New South Wales. I would say I’m proud, but that word doesn’t really do it justice. And if you’re reading Grace… you’re a star. It’s all love and support from me to you. Just keep ignoring the title of this blog… whenever a post comes up in the future. The future looks bright for you - along with Women’s Rugby in Australia in general!

But back to the Super W final. Let’s just say the game was worth the trip. Thanks to a last minute Queensland penalty, the score was 13-13 at full-time. That brought the game to sudden-death overtime, for two five minute halves. RIGHT at the end of the second half…. Ash Hewson slotted a penalty to win the game for the Blues.

One constructive comment to help for next time - the doors of the stadium only opened at 4:30pm - and the final kick-off was at 4:45pm. I was lucky to be one of the first in... but it did mean that as the hype was building just before the match, not many people had even made it to their seats. In the scheme of things... this is not the biggest of issues though.

I agree with Michael Hayes... what a game it was!!! I’m excited to see where Super W goes in the future and look forward to supporting it even more through this blog!!!!


Special mention goes to Tiger Airways for taking great care of me. Their great service on the trip made things even more enjoyable.


No comments:

Post a Comment