Monday 5 June 2017

With the #redsinsamoa

I’ve had an awesome week visiting Samoa with the Queensland Reds for their game against the Auckland Blues. As this is being written, we are just getting ready to head back home to Brisbane.

As well as this weeks player interview (with Lukhan Tui) I wanted to share a bit more about my trip overall and some of the memories I’ll take home with me. I had a great time travelling around the island, eating great food (especially the fish!) and meeting some of the amazing locals who really took care of me. It was also great to hang out with members of the Reds team during their down time, and even at their trainings.

The biggest highlight for me (besides watching Friday night’s game) was handing out the jersey’s to team, on the morning of the game. It was an honour to be a part of the day in that way. I think I’ll kick off with photos from there:





Click here to see a quick video of the morning on the Reds Instagram page.

Catching up with the team on arrival


Obviously… this is me talking to Samu Kerevi, the Reds captain, in the hotel lobby. What I didn’t know when this picture was taken is that Bill English, the Prime Minister of New Zealand is in the background. True story - we actually met Bill later on, after Friday nights game and were allowed to take a proper photo with him. (He's a nice bloke by the way.) I might choose to post that one later, but for now, I just wanted to share this one. I like it better. He does support the Blues after all.

Unfortunately Samu was injured during Friday’s game. Samu - we’re all behind you, and are wishing you a quick recovery in time for the rest of the Reds season.

With the Reds at Training


I was gutted to find out at training that Rob Simmons (to my left) also got injured that week. Rugby is definitely a tough game! Rob, I know you’ll be back soon.

Catching up with Reds coach Nick Stiles after the captains run at Apia Stadium
The Game

Watching the game was an awesome experience. The Reds didn’t win it, but overall, their performance was good. Click here to see one of their tries that my press secretary managed to capture:

“Two-try Tupou” is what my Dad called Teniela after he scored his second try.

It is true there were some empty seats at the game, but the crowd was still very vocal and enthusiastic. Sure there were a lot of Blues flags in the crowd, but there was also a very loud group supporting the Reds. Over the next few days, as we travelled around the island, everyone we spoke to knew about the game, and most people that weren’t there with us had watched it on television. It’s clear the game was well received by the locals, and that the Reds now have many fans in this country.
George Smith getting up close to Samoan Reds fans after the game
If you’d like to see more photos from the Reds trip to Samoa, why not type in the hashtag #redsinsamoa on Instagram.  I hope the Reds travel here again.

On game day, a reporter came up to me and my Dad and wanted to photograph and interview us. It came out in the paper the next day.

Travelling around the island

On Saturday and Sunday, I spent half of the day travelling around different parts of the island.



Our first trip took us to Lalomanu beach, and Sunday afternoons trip took us around the other side, ending in Mulifanua which is close to the airport.



The Samoans showed themselves to be great at hospitality, feeding us very well. I especially loved eating the fresh fish. Also, I probably drank way too much pineapple juice and Fanta. 

A big thanks to Tili and Lette from “AHM Taxi Stand” for taking such good care of me.


This is Junior and Rose. One night, the pathway we took to get home was quite rocky, and they helped hold my wheelchair for most of the trip home. Like I said, people took good care of me around here.


Thanks again Samoa for having me. Everyone should try and visit this country sometime.

June Wallabies Tests

The Super Rugby competition is on hold for a while. There are three Wallabies tests happening in the month of June and I’ll definitely be watching every one of them.

Although Rob and Samu are injured, Stephen, Quade, Scott, Karmichael, Eto, and Lukhan are all Reds players who have made the squad. (The last three are playing for the Wallabies for the first time!)

The first test is this Saturday, June 10th at 3pm (in Melbourne). Make sure you're tuning in....

I'll be back with another player interview soon.


Are you following me on Instagram? Make sure you find me @tomhamiltonreds

No comments:

Post a Comment